Despite the recent proliferation of research on the relationship between corporate social responsibility (CSR) and employee performance, the results is still inconsistent. Based on a review of 35 empirical studies, a meta-analysis was conducted to examine the relationship between CSR and employee performance by using 140 effect sizes from 11690 participants. Overall, the results show that CSR manifested a moderate and positive correlation with employee performance (r = 0.38) in general, task performance (r = 0.45) and contextual performance (r = 0.37). Uncertainty avoidance and individualistic tendency did not make any significant differences in the relationship between CSR and employee performance. While industry characteristics and economic level make significant differences: the relationship is stronger in rich areas than in poor areas, and for manufacturing industry than for service ones.
刘俊,秦传燕. (2018). 企业社会责任与员工绩效的关系：一项元分析. 心理科学进展, 26(7), 1152-1164.
Jun LIU,Chuanyan QIN. (2018). Corporate social responsibility and employee performance: A meta-analysis. Advances in Psychological Science, 26(7), 1152-1164.
* Abane, S . ( 2016). Employee perceptions of corporate social responsibility (CSR) and organisational citizenship behaviours (OCB): A comparative Ghanaian study (Unpublished master’s thesis). University of Ghana.
* Abdullah, M. H., & Rashid N. R. N. A, . ( 2012). The implementation of corporate social responsibility (CSR) programs and its impact on employee organizational citizenship behavior. International Journal of Business & Commerce, 2( 1), 67-75.
* Ahmad, I, . ( 2014). Impact of CSR on dimensions of job performance with mediating effect of overall justice perception. European Journal of Business & Management, 6( 20), 94-108.
Allworth, E., & Hesketh B. , ( 1997). Adaptive performance: Updating the criterion to cope with change. Paper Presented at the 2nd Australian Industrial and Organizational Psychology Conference, Melbourne.
Aupperle K. E., Carroll A. B., & Hatfield J. D . ( 1985). An empirical examination of the relationship between corporate social responsibility and profitability. Academy of Management Journal, 28( 2), 446-463.
Basu, K., & Palazzo G. , ( 2008). Corporate social responsibility: A process model of sensemaking. Academy of Management Review, 33( 1), 122-136.
Borman, W. C., & Motowidlo S. J, . ( 1993). Expanding the criterion domain to include elements of contextual performance. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Bowen, H. R . ( 1953). Social responsibilities of the businessman. New York: Harpor & Row.
Brammer S., Millington A., & Rayton B . ( 2007). The contribution of corporate social responsibility to organizational commitment. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 18( 10), 1701-1719.
Campbell J. P., McCloy R. A., Oppler S. H., & Sager C. E . ( 1993). A theory of performance. In N. Schmitt & W. C. Borman (Eds.), Personnel selection in organizations. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Carroll, A. B . ( 1979). A three-dimensional conceptual model of corporate performance. Academy of Management Review, 4( 4), 497-505.
Cohen, J . ( 1977). Statistical power analysis for behavioral sciences (Rev. ed.). New York: Academic.
Davis, K. P., & Blomstrom R. L, . ( 1975). Business and society: Environment and responsibility. New York: McGraw-Hill.
* Edwards, M. R., & Kudret S. , ( 2017). Multi-foci CSR perceptions, procedural justice and in-role employee performance: The mediating role of commitment and pride. Human Resource Management Journal, 27( 1), 169-188.
Eells, R. S. F., & Walton C. C, . ( 1961). Conceptual foundations of business: An outline of the major ideas sustaining business enterprise in the western world. American Sociological Review, 27( 2), 271.
Evans W. R., Davis W. D., & Frink D. D . ( 2011). An examination of employee reactions to perceived corporate citizenship. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 41( 4), 938-964.
* Fairlie, P., & Svergun O ., ( 2015). The interrelated roles of CSR and stress in predicting employee outcomes. Paper presented at the International Conference on Occupational Stress and Health, Atlanta, USA.
Glavas, A., & Kelley K. , ( 2014). The effects of perceived corporate social responsibility on employee attitudes. Business Ethics Quarterly, 24( 2), 165-202.
Glavas, A., & Piderit S. K, . ( 2009). How does doing good matter? Effects of corporate citizenship on employees. Journal of Corporate Citizenship, 2009( 36), 51-70.
Godfrey P. C., Merrill C. B., & Hansen J. M . ( 2009). The relationship between corporate social responsibility and shareholder value: An empirical test of the risk management hypothesis. Strategic Management Journal, 30( 4), 425-445.
* Hanif, F . ( 2015). Corporate social responsibility (CSR) and perceived employee outcome: The mediating role of HR practices. Social Science Electronic Publishing, 1-35.
Hansen S. D., Dunford B. B., Boss A. D., Boss R. W., & Angermeier I . ( 2011). Corporate social responsibility and the benefits of employee trust: A cross-disciplinary perspective. Journal of Business Ethics, 102( 1), 29-45.
Hawkins, J. D., & Sloma D. , ( 1978). Recognizing the organizational context. Administration in Social Work, 2( 3), 283-294.
Higgins J. P. T., Thompson S. G., Deeks J. J., & Altman D. G . ( 2003). Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses. BMJ, 327( 7414), 557-560.
* Ho, A. T. S . ( 2012). The impact of perceived CSR on employee performance and turnover intention: An examination of the mediating effects of organizational justice and organization-based self-esteem (Unpublished master’s thesis). Singapore Management University.
Hofstede, G . ( 2003). Culture's consequences: Comparing values, behaviors, institutions and organizations across nations (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications Inc.
* Hur W. M., Moon T. W., & Ko S. H . ( 2016). How employees’ perceptions of CSR increase employee creativity: Mediating mechanisms of compassion at work intrinsic motivation. Journal of Business Ethics, 1-16.
Kim H. R., Lee M., Lee H. T., & Kim N.-M . ( 2010). Corporate social responsibility and employee-company identification. Journal of Business Ethics, 95( 4), 557-569.
* Korschun D., Bhattacharya C. B., & Swain S. D . ( 2014). Corporate social responsibility, customer orientation, and the job performance of frontline employees. Journal of Marketing, 78( 3), 20-37.
* Kroh, J . ( 2014). Corporate social responsibility: How internal and external CSR perceptions influence employee outcomes. A work project for the award of a master degree in Nova School of Business and Economics, Lisbon, Portugal.
Lin, C. P . ( 2010). Modeling corporate citizenship, organizational trust, and work engagement based on attachment theory. Journal of Business Ethics, 94( 4), 517-531.
Lipsey, M. W., & Wilson D. B, . ( 2001). Practical meta-analysis. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications Inc.
Maignan I., Ferrell O. C., & Hult, G. T. M . ( 1999). Corporate citizenship: Cultural antecedents and business benefits. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 27( 4), 455-469.
Margolis, J. D., & Walsh J. P, . ( 2003). Misery loves companies: Rethinking social initiatives by business. Administrative Science Quarterly, 48( 2), 268-305.
Moskowitz, M . ( 1972). Choosing socially responsible stocks. Business and Society Review, 1( 1), 71-75.
Mueller K., Hattrup K., Spiess S. O., & Lin-Hi N . ( 2012). The effects of corporate social responsibility on employees' affective commitment: A cross-cultural investigation. Journal of Applied Psychology, 97( 6), 1186-1200.
* Musa, U. A., & Rahman A. A, . ( 2015). Employee perception of CSR activities, job attachment and organizational commitment. Pertanika Journal of Social Science & Humanities, 23, 1-6.
* Newman A., Nielsen I., & Miao Q . ( 2015). The impact of employee perceptions of organizational corporate social responsibility practices on job performance and organizational citizenship behavior: Evidence from the Chinese private Sector. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 26( 9), 1226-1242.
* Ouyang, Y . ( 2011). An exploration of LMX and personal guanxi on job performance: The mediating effects of CSR. Journal of Global Business Issues, 5( 1), 1-10.
Pigott, T. D . ( 2006). Methods of meta-analysis: Correcting error and bias in research findings. Evaluation & Program Planning, 29( 3), 236-237.
Riordan C. M., Gatewood R. D., & Bill J. B . ( 1997). Corporate image: Employee reactions and implications for managing corporate social performance. Journal of Business Ethics, 16( 4), 401-412.
Rosenthal, R . ( 1979). The file drawer problem and tolerance for null results. Psychological Bulletin, 86( 3), 638-641.
Rupp D. E., Shao R., Thornton M. A., & Skarlicki D. P . ( 2013). Applicants’ and employees’ reactions to corporate social responsibility: The moderating effects of first-party justice perceptions and moral identity. Personnel Psychology, 66( 4), 895-933.
Shen, J., & Benson J. , ( 2016). When CSR is a social norm: How socially responsible human resource management affects employee work behavior. Journal of Management, 42( 6), 1723-1746.
* Tariq, M. H . ( 2015). Effect of CSR on employee engagement. Indian Journal of Science & Technology, 8( S4), 301-306.
Tsui A. S., Pearce J. L., Porter L. W., & Tripoli A. M . ( 1997). Alternative approaches to the employee-organization relationship: Does investment in employees pay off? Academy of Management Journal, 40( 5), 1089-1121.
Tsui A. S., Zhang Z. X., Wang H., Xin K. R., & Wu J. B . ( 2006). Unpacking the relationship between CEO leadership behavior and organizational culture. The Leadership Quarterly, 17( 2), 113-137.
Turker, D . ( 2009). How corporate social responsibility influences organizational commitment.[J] ournal of Business Ethics, 89( 2), 189-204.
van Scotter, J. R., & Motowidlo S. J, . ( 1996). Interpersonal facilitation and job dedication as separate facets of contextual performance. Journal of Applied Psychology, 81( 5), 525-531.
* Vinerean S., Cetin? I., Dumitrescu L., & Tichindelean M . ( 2013). Modelling employee engagement in relation to CSR practices and employee satisfaction. Revista Economica, 65( 1), 21-37.
Welbourne T. M., Johnson D. E., & Erez A . ( 1998). The role-based performance scale: Validity analysis of a theory- based measure. Academy of Management Journal, 41( 5), 540-555.
Williams, L. J., & Anderson S. E, . ( 1991). Job satisfaction and organizational commitment as predictors of organizational citizenship and in-role behaviors. Journal of Management, 17( 3), 601-617.